Hire Our Facilities
If you are interested in hiring the use of the facilities at School, please read the information provided here. For details of hire charges and availability please contact Mrs G. Williams in the first instance. You can do this by calling or writing to Reception or by e-mailing her directly:
Hirers are advised to read the details of the County Council’s public liability policy and the school’s notes on Fire procedures and VAT regulations. For those entitled to VAT exemption, an additional HEF11 form needs to be completed.
How to Apply
- Read through the Conditions of Hire. They are further down this page.
- Download, print, complete and return the Application Form (word, 58 kB)
- Download, print, complete and return the Risk Assessment form (word, 89 kB)
- If required, download, print, complete and return the VAT form HEF11 (word 27 kB).
Please return completed forms to the School, marked clearly for the attention of Mrs S Evans. Before the letting can commence you will be asked to provide photographic proof of your I.D., evidence of CRB checks (where necessary) and copies of appropriate qualifications including basic first aid.
Conditions of Hire
In these conditions:
- School means the school identified at the head of this document
- County Council means Hampshire County Council.
Acceptance of conditions
The hiring of accommodation is permitted only on the conditions outlined in the following regulations. Acceptance of the hire agreement is deemed to be acceptance of these conditions.
Compliance with conditions
The hirer (the person or body to whom the hire is granted) shall be responsible for compliance with these conditions.
Applications for the hire of premises should normally be made at least three weeks in advance. In general, reservations will not be accepted for dates more than twelve months in advance, except for special events such as those needing extensive preparations.
- The Hirer shall satisfy himself that the facilities to be hired are suitable for his purposes
- The use of the premises must not interfere with the proper working of the School or impair its efficiency. In particular the Hirer acknowledges that it will not have exclusive use of the site.
Only suitable footwear should be worn in the gymnasium. No school games equipment may be used without permission and gymnastic equipment can only be used when an adult with recognised qualifications for the proposed activity is personally supervising at all times. For safety reasons, this condition also applies to other indoor activities with young people. For further guidance the hirer should consult the regulations described in the HCC document ‘Safety in Physical Education’ available at the school.
Grass Sports pitches and Hard Court Multi-Use Areas
- These facilities should be used for their intended purposes only i.e. Participation in formal and informal play and sport
- The grass sports pitches and hard court multi-use games areas shall be hired, together with access to toilets and changing accommodation at the School. The hirer shall not have access to any other parts of the School.
- The grass sports pitch shall be marked out for the sport and the hard court multi-use games area may have indicative markings for sports like netball, basketball, tennis and small sided football. No additional marks shall be made to the sports pitch or hard court areas by the Hirer.
- The grass sports pitches shall have a limited playing capacity. The School reserves the right to restrict use of the grass sports pitch to protect it during inclement weather; when damaged or under repair; when waterlogged; or to fit in with School curriculum or School demands.
- Litter must be removed from the facility at the end of the hire session.
The hirer must agree to the contractual, hygiene and health and safety obligations set out in the Contract Management Guidelines (red folder), paragraph 13 page 9, and to the payment of the deposit 10 days prior to the hire and the payment of the hire charges. This is in addition to any separate charges levied by the school for the use of any school facilities used in conjunction with the hire of the catering premises.
No use may be made of apparatus such as stage fittings, pianos etc., without specific permission.
Fabric and fittings
The fabric and fittings (including electrical installations) and contents of the premises shall not be interfered with in any way. No treatment shall be given to prepare a floor for dancing and the wearing of stiletto heels is prohibited. Only authorised persons shall use steps or ladders. No nails or screws shall be driven into the walls, floors, ceilings, furniture of fixings, and no placards shall be affixed to any part of the premises. The Schools furniture (other than chairs in the hired accommodation) and equipment shall not be moved except by prior arrangement. Official exit ways must be kept clear at all times. Any alteration or addition to the Schools lighting or electrical heating systems is strictly forbidden, except with the written consent of the Head-teacher. Consent may be subject to conditions, which the hirer will be required to observe the hirer shall, at the end of the hire period, leave the accommodation in a reasonable tidy condition, all equipment being returned to the correct place of storage.
- The Hirer is responsible for the safe guarding and safe keeping of all items belonging to the Hirer / delegates or third parties engaged by it. The School accepts no responsibility for such items.
Storage facilities cannot be provided. When hirers are permitted to leave equipment on the premises, they do so entirely at their own risk.
Furniture and apparatus required may be brought on to the premises at the hirer’s own risk. Hirers shall not bring on to the premises, without the prior consent of the governors, any article of an inflammable or explosive nature, nor any article producing an offensive smell, nor any other substance, apparatus, or article of a dangerous nature.
The hirer shall indemnify the establishment and Hampshire County Council against all claims for damages, compensation and / or costs in respect of:
- Bodily injury or illness to Third Parties, and / or
- Damage to Third party property caused by or arising out of being incidental to the Hirers use of the premises
- The hirer shall be responsible for loss or damage to the establishment’s premises and contents therein the property of Hampshire County Council.
- The Hirer shall affect adequate insurance in respect of the liabilities and the loss or damage referred to respectively in Conditions 15 & 16 above. (See appendix following Conditions of Hire for explanatory notes on insurance).
Refusal of hire
The governors may refuse an application to hire the premises if:
- The premises are required by the school.
- There has been any damage to the property or breach of these conditions during previous use of the premises by the hirer.
- For any other reason the governors deem it necessary or expedient to withhold the permit.
No compensation shall be payable by the governors by reason of such a decision.
Cancellation by the governors
The School reserves the right to cancel any hiring without notice if:
- the accommodation will, due to circumstances outside their control, be unavailable for the hire period or
- The hirer has failed to disclose material information concerning the proposed hiring, or
- There are reasonable grounds to conclude the Conditions of Hire may be breached to a material extent
In the event of (i) all hiring fees will be refunded to the Hirer, but the School shall have no further liability to the hirer. In the event of (ii) and (iii), any refund of hiring fees shall be at the discretion of the School.
Apart from exceptional circumstances, the governors will give at least four weeks' notice to the hirer, should it become necessary to cancel or postpone a letting.
Cancellation by the hirer
The hirer must give at least four weeks' notice of cancellation to the Head teacher, acting for the governors. If any shorter period of notice is given, the governors reserve the right to pass on to the hirer any costs unavoidably incurred or to impose a cancellation charge.
Payment of charges
The Hirer shall pay the hiring fees, including any deposit, at the rates and times set out on the attached schedule.
- The Hirer acknowledges that in the event that the Hirer cancels the hiring there will be a cancellation fee payable as set out in the attached schedule and any refund of monies already paid will be at the discretion of the school
- All hire charges must be paid within one month of the invoice being issued. This invoice will be issued at the end of each month for all the hirers that have taken place in that month.
- The School reserves the right, on proper notification, to invoice the hirer for any charges arising from excessive cleaning time incurred as a result of the hirer failing to leave the accommodation in a reasonable condition, or for repair of the premises or equipment damaged by the hirer, or resulting from the hirer failing to vacate the premises by the time stipulated in the hire form.
- The hirer shall, if so demanded, pay at the time of booking a refundable deposit to be held by the governors against costs unavoidably incurred as the result of insufficient notice of cancellation of booking, any damage caused by the hirer, or additional cleaning required as a result of the premises not being left in a reasonably tidy condition. The proportion of the deposit to be retained will be decided by the governors and their decision will be final. Use of school meals facilities and equipment is subject to County Council conditions and a deposit of £100 is required.
All statutory requirements, including those relating to health and safety and public entertainments, must be strictly fulfilled by the hirer. Film, music, dancing (including disco) and stage events must be considered to be public entertainment unless entrance is restricted to those who are bona fide members of the organisation hiring the accommodation. For all public entertainment, it is the hirer’s responsibility to inform the local Council’s Licensing Officer and obtain the appropriate licence. This applies if tickets are to be sold at the door or advertised to the public, but also if tickets are offered to friends and neighbours or even if admission is free and open to all.
No musical works in the repertoire of the Performing Rights Society may be performed in public on the premises unless the hirer has obtained the permission of the society. No copyright material may be delivered or performed unless the consent of the owners of the copyright has been obtained by the hirer.
Attendance and behaviour
The hirer shall ensure that the number of persons using the premises does not exceed that for which the application was made and approved.
The hirer shall be responsible for ensuring the preservation of good order for the full duration of the letting and until the premises are vacated. The hirer shall at all times provide an adequate number of supervisors shall be present throughout the hiring period. The hirer shall be liable for damage caused by unruly or inappropriate behaviour.
It is the hirer’s responsibility to ensure that all those attending are made aware of their responsibilities, and the County Council’s and hirer’s insurance arrangements.
- The School reserve the right to exclude individuals or companies that it considers undesirable or inappropriate. The head-teacher reserves the right to require a representative to be in attendance for the reservation of good order and safety and to recover from the Hirer any additional expenses incurred as a result of this condition. If the head-teachers representative considers the behaviour of the hirer, its guest / delegates or third party contractors to be unreasonable, then the representative may cancel and / or terminate the event with immediate effect and the School shall not be obliged to refund any part of the Hire charge.
In no circumstances shall alcoholic drinks be available at any function without prior written consent of the governors. Permission will be granted only in exceptional circumstances. Applications must be made in writing at the time the hirer applies for the use of the premises. If permission is granted for alcoholic drinks to be sold it will be the responsibility of the hirer to ensure that a Temporary Event Notice is obtained from the local licensing authority. The hirer agrees to comply with all conditions and limitations attached to the Temporary Event Notice he obtains
- The School reserves the right to require sight of a Temporary Event Notice prior to the letting
The premises may not be used for games of chance, other than bingo, unless specific permission has been granted by the governors.
Emergency Evacuation Procedures
Hirers shall familiarise themselves with the fire precautions in force on the premises and with the means of evacuation in the event of a fire, bomb warning or any other threat to safety. The Hirer is responsible for ensuring that persons attending are made aware of the evacuations procedures. Fire and other exits must be kept clear at all times.
No smoking is allowed.
The caretaker is instructed by the governors to ensure that the conditions of hire are fully complied with. All reasonable instructions given by the caretaker on duty must therefore be followed.
- Use of premises is limited to the accommodation hired and necessary facilities such as toilets. Car parking is permitted in designated areas at the premises subject to availability
Right of access
The governing body and its agents reserve the right of access to the premises during the letting.
The head teacher or his/her representative reserves the right to suspend or withdraw use of the school by an individual group with immediate effect on the following grounds:
- causing intentional damage to the school, its equipment or any personal belongings of other users
- violent, threatening or abusive behaviour to a member of staff or other users
- theft of any property belonging to the school or other users
- disruptive behaviour which is interfering with the activities of others
- behaviour which puts at risk the health, safety or well-being of others
- behaviour which is deemed to be offensive and/or results in complaints from users
- refusal to follow reasonable directions from the caretaker or other members of the school’s staff
- non-payment of school invoices
- Any other behaviour which is considered inappropriate to the smooth and efficient operation of the school, or against the interests of all users.
Following the suspension, the user will be given reasons in writing and will be offered the opportunity to appeal to the governing body whose decision will be final.
- The Hirer may not assign or sub-let the hire of the school
i. March 2007
Appendix: Hirers Insurance - Indemnity Clause
In accordance with the terms of the hiring it is customary to require persons / organisations to accept responsibility for damage to the premises and it equipment and for the Third party claims involving injury to persons and / or damage to property.
A. Injury to Persons or Property
The hirer shall indemnify the school and Hampshire County Council against all claims for damages, compensation and / or costs in respect of:
- Bodily injury or illness to Third parties including the County Councils servants and agents and / or
- Damage or loss to Third Party property caused by, or arising out of, or being incidental to the Hirers use of the premises
The Hirer shall affect adequate insurance to cover the liability with a minimum limit of indemnity of
- £10 million for commercial hiring’s except where otherwise agreed
- £5 million for non-commercial hiring’s
B. Damage to Premises and Equipment
- The Hirer shall be responsible for the loss of , or damage to the premises and contents therein, which is the property of the school and or / Hampshire County council, except when loss or damage to the premises or contents are as a result of the negligence of the school or Hampshire County Council.
The hirer shall affect adequate insurance to cover this liability with a minimum limit indemnity of
- £10 million for commercial hiring’s except where otherwise agreed
- £5 million for non-commercial hiring’s
Hirers must produce evidence that the required insurance cover is in place at least 7 days before the event
Due to difficulties experienced by non commercial hirers in arranging Public Liability Insurance with a limit of Indemnity of at least £5 million (the lowest limit acceptable for use of Hampshire County Council premises) the County Council has arranged for the following policy, and Hirers who cannot produce evidence of public liability Insurance, must as a condition of the proposed hiring, accept the Hirers insurance arranged by Hampshire County Council, (provided they do not fall within the definition of the exclusions listed below).
Hampshire County Council - on behalf of non-commercial individuals and organisations hiring county council schools, community colleges, education centres and other hampshire county council properties
The indemnity will cover individual hirers for their legal liability for injury / illness to third parties and / or loss / damage to their property, and loss or damage to the premises and contents hired, including such liability that may be imposed on the Hirer under the terms of the hiring agreement.
- For loss / damage caused by other than Fire or explosion, cover is subject to an Excess of £100
- Damage resulting from Fire or Explosion is limited to £5 million
- Political meetings and Professional Entertainment Promotions
- Commercial, business or trade hiring
This is a public liability insurance policy. It does not provide cover for:
- Employers Liability - If the Hirer has employees the Hirer must provide this cover.
- Professional negligence of the Hirer - if the Hirer is providing a professional service, it must take out this cover itself.
- Personal Accident - cover for participants in the Hirers activity where they have been injured as a result of a pure accident and there is no negligence on the part of the Hirer.